Red Belly Ratings members ended the Melbourne Cup Carnival in style, with a profit of 15.11 units on Saturday’s Flemington and Randwick meetings.
Despite only betting on 3 of the 4 days at Flemington (we didn’t bet on Oaks Day), ratings members posted a profit of 29.92 units for the Cup Carnival.
For punters who are not familiar with unitised betting, a ‘unit’ represents 1% of your total betting bank, so a 29.92 unit profit equals the following cash amounts:
• $50 per unit punter – $1,496
• $100 per unit punter – $2,992
• $500 per unit punter – $14,960
We enjoyed a well-earned slice of luck on Emirates Stakes Day, surviving a protest at Flemington (Precedence) and having a protest upheld in our favour at Randwick (Fulminate).
As we always say, the vagaries of racing tend to even themselves out in the long run, and today it was our turn for the breaks to go our way.
We backed the following winners:
• Buffering ($11 rated a $6.50 chance)
• Precedence ($7 rated $5)
• Boban ($4.60 rated $2.60)
• Fulminate ($10 rated $8)
• Terravista ($2.60 rated $2.50)
It was a tough start to the day, with Sharalam and Barbed both finishing unplaced, and Queenstown beaten by a nose by Girl Gone Rockin.
The win of our good mate Rob Heathcote’s champion sprinter Buffering in the VRC Sprint Classic proved to be the turning point of our day.
Here’s a look at the other winners we backed on Derby Day and Melbourne Cup Day:
• Fiorente (Cup winner – $8.50)
• Polanski (Derby winner – $7 rated $4)
• Zoustar ($2.10 rated $1.75)
• Hidden Warrior ($4.80 rated $3.50)
• Salon Soldier ($3.50 rated $2.60)
• Oxford Poet ($6.50 rated $3.20)
• Vitello ($2.05 rated $1.85)